Got back from the MegaCon science-fiction convention in Orlando late Sunday, and I’m finally almost recovered. The convention was somewhat good, somewhat bad, and a whole lot of weird.
– Getting to attend a panel with Kevin Smith, the writer and director of “Clerks,” “Chasing Amy,” “Dogma,” and several other movies. This guy is, no question, one of the funniest human beings on the planet. He’s also very cool, even if he doesn’t like “The Lord of the Rings” (“It’s a story about walking! ‘We’ve got to get rid of this ring. Let’s walk over here. Oh, no, a ringwraith! Let’s walk over there.’ The movie is three hours of walking, and in the end….Credits! That’s what was wrong with “Mallrats”–not enough walking!”).
– The hotel suite. Okay, so it’s pretty bad when one of the hilights of the trip is the hotel suite, but it was an awesome hotel suite.
– Spending time with my wife kellyv, my girlfriend, and scarlete and lordfuckbeast.
– My wife meeting the actress who played Vasquez in “Aliens”–one of her all-time favorite characters.
– Hooking up with my old college roommate chipotle and our old friend John, who we haven’t seen in years.
– Two days of nonstop rain, in violation of everything good and true about Florida. It’s supposed to rain for about fifteen minutes every day at three o’clock, and that’s IT.
– Science fiction geeks have no money–leastwise, the science fiction geeks at MegaCon have no money. Sales were dismal. The “Fuck Milk” T-shirts were a big hit, though.
– The official convention party was held in a NASCAR restaurant. What were they thinking?
– The Orange County Convention Center. Two words: It sucks. I will never attend any event in any capacity held there again. From the organized-crime-controlled parking service to the physical layout of the center to the evolutionary throwbacks running the center, the place sucks, sucks, sucks.
– scarlete made Dave Prowss, the actor who played Darth Vader, get a crush on her. He invited her to go home with him…
– The most obnoxious T-shirt I’ve ever seen: A woman walked by wearing a shirt reading “Abortions Tickle.”
So there it is. Perhaps when I have more time, I’ll post pics.